Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fiction: Skin Deep Part 1

So this is something I've been working on for a little while now. It's been...I don't really know how long it's been since I've tried my hand at fiction. But I thought I would write a scary story a la Tales from the Crypt for this issue to go with the theme. This character is loosely based on three people. 1)An incredibly arrogant girl from a reality show. 2)A fictional character from a teen drama series. 3)A girl I was sort of friends with (on the surface anyway) on the internet until recently. But those three do not 100% equal this character. She has a little bit of me thrown in, just a tad. And even though she's based on that many people she is surprisingly uncomplicated. hahaha So without further ado, here she is...

Skin Deep: 1
By Lux

I don’t know anymore how long I’ve been here. I’ve lost track. There are no days or nights. There is only waking and dreaming. Every time I wake up I feel good. I know I have everything I’ve ever wanted. I know that things are coming together for me. My career is going to take off. After working so hard and going through so much to get to this point, I’ve earned it. It’s at this moment, this very thought, when I start to feel as though something isn’t right. It’s like the feeling you get when can’t remember if you locked up when you left home. It’s small but persistent, nagging even. I can’t pinpoint what’s causing it as I get out of bed and walk over to my dresser. But when I get there and see what’s waiting for me it all comes back in an instant. That’s when the screaming starts. Hold up, I’m getting ahead of myself. I think I need to go back and start at the beginning. Once upon a time…

I have an appointment for a consultation with the best surgeon around. He’s going to upgrade my A’s to C’s and consequently my exotic dancer job to a part in a TV series. This guy is amazing. I’ve seen his work. He has worked on actresses, pop stars and socialites. I got his name from a client at the club I work at. Dr. Lords‘ specialty is implants. You know when the newest teen queen suddenly goes from a B cup to a full C and insists she’s had a growth spurt, but you can’t tell for sure? It’s him. He is incredibly in demand and I got an appointment with him. I really can’t believe how lucky I am. His stuff looks so real it would fool an ex-boyfriend. So I’m on my way to the appointment when this idiot cuts me off and I bump into her. My car seems undamaged but she is pulling off to the side. I consider stopping but I can’t be late, so oh well. I keep driving. I’m sure she’s just fine. Besides it was her fault she should be glad I’m not angry enough to stop and chew her out. I’m driving a $45,000 car. What a dumb bitch.

I make it to my appointment just in time. The doctor is very nice and unbelievably hot on top of that. It’s a good thing he’s a professional. Otherwise I don’t think we could resist each other for a minute. The initial exam goes great. We set up a date for the surgery. He doesn’t do payments. That’s not a problem for me, because of my job in such a lucrative industry I can afford to pay in cash. I can already feel my life getting better. It’s pretty great so far though. I’m 22. I have great genes. I live in a big beautiful house, well it‘s really an estate. I can come and go as I please. I have a boyfriend, he’s old but he’s loaded. He wanted to pay for the surgery but I wouldn’t let him. I don’t like owing anyone anything. I do however like the gifts he gives me, jewelry, clothes, the car… I have it made. All I have to do now is get that part. Dr. Lords assures me that I’ll have a quick and fairly painless recovery. I’m finally going to get what I deserve. All the recognition, the fans, the awards…I can picture it now.

I get home without incident. Looks like the idiot drivers called it a day. This thought makes me chuckle. I’m really quite funny, I’ve been told. I have a lot more going for me than just looks. I have a great sense of humor, I’m fun to be around and I’m also intelligent. For example a lot of people might be surprised to know that I watch the news. I turn it on now. The top story is about a woman who was murdered on the freeway. Apparently she was involved in an accident that jacked her car but the other car didn’t stop. Another person stopped under the guise of helping her out and ended up shooting and robbing her. What a world we live in. What is wrong with people? Then they show a photo of the crime scene complete with chalk outline on the ground next to her car. Oh no. It’s the car from earlier. I feel bad, but then again the accident was her fault and I’m not the one who shot her. Don’t get me wrong, what happened was tragic. It was truly, truly sad. But things like this are a form of natural selection. Survival of the fittest. If she was a better driver she might be alive right now. It’s the law of the universe. The world continues to move forward, often at a pace too fast for some. It’s not wrong or right. It just is.

To be continued…

2 comments:

Hybrid Hopes said...

AHHHH! WHY'D YOU HAVE TO CUT THE STORY OFF RIGHT THERE!!!!

good thing i have "girl is poison" on my blogroll...

Girl Is Poison said...

Cool! Someone likes it. I was wondering if it sucked. haha I don't have the ability to look at my own writing objectively for some reason.

Thank you for reading!